1. The Stonington Board of Education meets tonight at 7 at Stonington High School to discuss the 2013-2014 proposed budget.
Superintendent Van Riley presented his proposed 2013-14 budget at last week's Board of Education meeting. The Day reported that Riley's $33.9 million proposal, which includes all-day kindergarten, would increase the current budget by $974,588 or 2.95 percent.
According to the Board of Education blog a public forum on the school budget is scheduled for Feb. 7, 2013. The board is not expected to vote on the budget at its Feb. 14, 2013 meeting.
2. New England Science & Sailing Foundation is hosting a free open house for educators and families today from 5 to 8 p.m. Stop by and meet their staff; get a peek at the 2013 summer programs and ask questions.
3. La Grua Center hosts a presentation about the recent project replacing Stonington's two train bridges tonight at 6 pm.
4. The American Liver Foundation is looking for runners to join their 2013 Run for Research Boston Marathon team. The race takes place on April 15, 2013. Join online at liverteam.org, or contact Lauren Gainor at firstname.lastname@example.org (617) 527 – 5600. For more information on the American Liver Foundation, visit http://www.liverfoundation.org/. For more information about the Run for Research, visit liverteam.org.
5. The Mystic & Noank Library is hoping community members will pledge to volunteer at the library on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013.
From 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, volunteers will help library staff with cleaning and maintenance tasks inside the library. Volunteers don't have to work the whole the time, but should let the library know beforehand if they can only stay for an hour or two.
To sign up to volunteer go to the circulation desk during normal library hours or call 860-536-7721. House Grounds Committee Co-Chair, John Porter can answer any questions at 860-536-2312 or email@example.com.