1. Shop Downtown Mystic today and all weekend during the downtown Mystic sidewalk sale. The event begins today at 10 a.m., and many merchants will have specials and sales. And after you’re done shopping catch a movie in the park. It’s at the brought to us by . E.T. will begin at 8:15. Bring a picnic dinner, blankets and beach chairs. Movies are subject to cancellation due to inclement weather, anticipation of inclement weather or wet surfacing.
2. employees will vote on whether or not they want union representation today. Earlier this spring a number of to form the union called Mystic Seaport United. They hope to join the Connecticut chapter of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), which is the second largest AFL-CIO union in Connecticut. Today’s election takes place in the Munson Room in the G.W. Blunt White building. All full-time, regular part-time and seasonal employees will have the chance to vote between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Check Patch tonight to find out the results of the election.
3. Stonington resident Ben Davol recently rode 101 miles on his bike during the Connecticut Challenge, a fundraiser for cancer survivors. He rode the last 25 miles in the rain. “Rain is much easer than chemo, which thankfully I never have had to experience,” Davol said. To find out more or to donate visit Davol’s fundraiser page or his blog.
4. The first transatlantic balloon flight ended on August 17, 1978 when the Double Eagle landed in a field near Paris.
5. Today's thought: "Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil."—J. Paul Getty