1. Children's Dentistry of Westerly is hosting a holiday food drive for the families in the community. All donations will go to the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center and the Jonnycake Center of Westerly. Drop off donations at 130c Granite Street, Westerly, R.I. Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
2. On Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012, the Westerly Public Library, the South Kingstown Land Trust, the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society, and the Rhode Island Sea Grant present Living on the Edge: Life at Roy Carpenter's Beach. Presenters will include photographer Kathie Florsheim, R.I. Coastal Resources Management Council geologist Janet Freedman, architect/planner Kenneth Filarski, and URI landscape architecture professor Angelo Simeone. The event is free and open to the public.
3. The Mystic Rotary Club meets today at noon at the Mystic Hilton. The club is always seeking community-service oriented new members and meets every Monday at noon.
4. Ellis Island closed on Nov. 12, 1954. According to History.com, more than 12 million immigrants passed through Ellis Island during the more than 60 years the place was opened.
5. Today's Thought: "You can be pleased with nothing when you are not pleased with yourself.”—Lady Mary Wortley Montagu