1. in Pawcatuck, Conn., had a great turnout for their first-ever fundraising event on Monday, May 7. The ice cream and sweet shop helped to raise almost $900 for Christian Hudson, a Pawcatuck child whose family is trying to purchase a .
“The event was amazing,” Melanie Goggin of Mel’s Downtown Creamery said. “We were shocked and overwhelmed by the outpouring of support for the Hudson family. It was a very busy night and will go down in the history books.”
Goggin and her husband, Dennis, customers, family, friends and a local Scentsy sales representative all contributed to raising the funds. Mel’s Downtown Creamery will be holding another fundraising event on June 5, this time to support the American Cancer Society.
2. The recently announced they are having a . Contests should a create a poster that represents the Mystic & Noank Library Fair. The post should be no larger than 12’ x 18’ and must be dropped off at the Mystic and Noank Library by 5 p.m. on May 12 to be considered for judging. Winning entries will be displayed for 2 weeks in the windows of , in downtown Mystic. A grand prize $20 gift certificate to Bank Square Books will be presented at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 2 as part of the Fair. For further information, please call the Library at 860-536-7721.
3. Do you own a small business in Stonington, Mystic or Pawcatuck? Owners or managers should search for their business listing and select "claim your listing" in order to make updates to the page. A form will pop up asking for your name, contact information, and proof of ownership.
Within a few days, someone from Patch will contact you to verify your authenticity, and then you'll be approved as the business owner. Once approved, you'll have a "Manage Your Listing" button on the top of your Places page. Click the button to be taken to your dashboard.
4. The transcontinental railroad was completed on May 10, 1869.
5. Today's thought: "There is little success where there is little laughter." —Andrew Carnegie