1. Do you love a parade? If the answer is yes, make sure you head to Mystic on Sunday March 25 for the 1 p.m., start of . Don’t forget to add your parade photos to the gallery. And don’t miss out on any of the other great events happening this weekend such as a , and the . Check the calendar for more information.
2. Congratulations to Maxine Pearcy of Stonington and Kathy Ledwidge of Mystic The two women are part of Groton Special Recreation’s Special Olympic program and received awards at the 2012 Hall of Fame Dinner Wednesday night.
Pearcy received the Unsung Hero Award, which recognizes volunteers who work tirelessly behind the scenes for Special Olympics Connecticut with no expectation of recognition or reward. Pearcy lives in Stonington, and works at U.S. Naval Base.
Ledwidge received the Spirit of Life Award, which is presented to the athlete that exemplifies the true meaning of Special Olympics. Ledwidge lives in Mystic and won a Silver Medal in Greece at The World Games in 2011.
3. There is plenty of food to eat today.
Head to the Portuguese Holy Ghost Society beginning at noon for , scallops and more seafood dishes. A full menu is available at www.holyghostclub.com.
Or join the B.F. Hoxie Engine Company for a from 5 to 8 p.m. The fish fry is one of the engine company biggest fundraisers of the year. And in Westerly the Westerly Relay For Life team Stella Parties and Events hosts a from noon to 9 p.m.
Fish not your thing? Friday means it’s at the
4. The Boston Morning Post published the initials O.K. as an abbreviation for oll correct on March 23, 1839.
5. “The time to enjoy a European trip is about three weeks after unpacking."—George Ade