1. The Chamber of Commerce of Eastern Connecticut is holding a today at noon. Each month the chamber holds a luncheon, that features question and answer sessions exploring new features and uses of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and more. The free luncheons are only open to members of the Chamber of Commerce of Eastern Connecticut. Registration is required and space is limited. To register, visit http://chamberect.com/chamber-activities.
2. A special meeting of the Board of Selectmen take places today at 6 p.m. at the meeting room. The special meeting will include a public hearing on the deed between the and the Town of Stonington. Following the meeting a regular meeting of the Board of Selectmen will take place. On the agenda is a Planning & Zoning Commission reappointment, discussion of the and a request from to use the Town Dock.
3. This year the celebrates the 175 Anniversary of the Reliance Fire Co. #1. The is looking for locals to help share their stories and memorabilia for a commemorative booklet. Contact Kirsten Cohoon at email@example.com for more information. The deadline for submitting stories is September 15.
4. Racial tensions spilled into violence in Boston on September 12, 1974. According to History.com, during the first day of school for many children busses carrying African American children were hit with eggs, bricks and bottles. The busses were bringing the students to predominantly white schools after a court ordered the busing of children to different neighborhoods to attempt to integrate the schools.
5. Today's thought: "Don't agonize. Organize." —Florynce Kennedy