1. Ledge Light Health District, Uncas Health District and Northeast District Department of Health are looking for volunteers. On March 23 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Groton Senior Center, the health districts will hold a mass dispensing training. According to the announcement posted on Patch, volunteers must be 18 or older but do not need a medical background just an interest in helping their community during a public health emergency. To register, contact Kris Magnussen at 860-448-4882 ext. 331 or download and fill out the form on the Ledge Light Health website at llhd.org and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 860-448-4885 by Wednesday, March 20.
2. The Stonington Free Library hosts a Drop In Story Time for children up to two-years-old today at 10:30 a.m., and for children ages three to six today at 11:30 a.m. Stop by for story time with books, finger plays and songs.
3. Advantage Personal Training is hosting a Soles4Souls Shoe Drive until March 7. Drop off a pair of shoes in any condition. For more information visit www.giveshoes.org.
4. Stonington Public Schools recently announced that Teacher of the Year nominations will be accepted through Thursday, March 28.
According to the Stonington Public Schools website, those interested in nominating an educator must fill out the nomination form and turn it in to the school Career Incentive representative or to the school office.
Have a nominee in mind?
5. There is a job opportunity at the Stonington Police Department. According to a notice posted on the Town of Stonington website, the police department is looking to hire a communications specialist.
Applications for the position are due by March 8, 2013 at 4 p.m. Those interested in applying should stop by the police department for an application. The application process, according to the notice, includes a written, practical and an oral board test and a background check. And before employment a physical and psychological test will be required.
Qualifications for the position include a high school diploma or equivalent, strong communication and computer skills.