The Town of Stonington has posted on its website that it is
hiring for a few positions. They need a Transfer Station Operator and Transfer
Station Gate Attendant and the job descriptions are briefly outlined below. You
can find more information on the Town’s
The Transfer Station Equipment Operator performs semi-skilled and non-skilled work to achieve the smooth operation of the Town Transfer Station, Recycling Center, Re-use Program and Compost site. The position requires the exercise of independent judgment and initiative.
Briefly, the Transfer Station Equipment operator has the following responsibilities:
- Operates medium to heavy equipment…
- Performs duties of a roll off truck driver…
- Operates tools and other equipment…
- Performs light repairs and maintenance of vehicles…
- Oversees residential drop-off of household MSW…
- Performs duties of the Gate Tender when needed…
- Performs duties of the Landfill Attendant when necessary…
- May manage area for Freon (CFC) containing units…
- Regular attendance is a requirement…
There are other job requirements, click here for the full job description.
The Transfer Station Attendant performs a variety of routine, unskilled and semi-skilled work to achieve smooth operation of the Town Transfer Station, Recycling Center, Reuse Program, and Compost Site. Position requires the exercise of independent judgment and initiative.
Visit the town’s website for more information or click here to download the application form.
Briefly, the Transfer Station Attendant
operator has the following responsibilities:
- Opens and closes Transfer Station gates to public at start and end of hours.
- Greets customers, inspects incoming waste, and directs customers to appropriate disposal locations.
- Directs traffic flow and assists vehicles in backing up to drop off locations.
- Performs light repairs and maintenance of vehicles. Greases and/or maintains all equipment and machinery as needed. Pumps/fills fuel tanks.
- Organizes, lifts and moves air conditioners, televisions, monitors and refrigerators and batteries.
- Operates old cardboard compactor. Operates pick up truck, rider mower, weed whacker, leaf blower, and mobile and portable radios. Operates bucket loader in required operations. Opens and closes roll off dumpsters for inspection.
- Keeps drop-off area free of litter and debris. Housekeeping duties include raking, sweeping, mowing, trimming and litter control. Maintains all drop-off containers, compost and brush areas and removes inappropriate materials and contaminates. Keeps reusable shed clean and orderly. Keeps recyclables free of contaminants.
- Manages area for Freon (CFC) containing units. May remove Freon left in containers and maintain records regarding removal upon certification.
- Performs duties of the Gate Tender when needed, including basic PC knowledge. Regular attendance is a requirement of this position.