1. It is Presidents Day, the kids don’t have school, town hall and many banks and libraries are closed, and there is no mail.
2. The Mystic Seaport's Winter's Aweigh celebrations continue today. Kids ages 17 and under will receive free admission during Winter's Aweigh when accompanied by an adult.
According to the Mystic Seaport, Winter’s Aweigh will feature tours of the Charles W. Morgan, games of 'long ago' on the Village Green and more.
3. The Mystic Hoxie Firehouse is hosting a family style pasta dinner to benefit Cindy Grant, an emergency dispatcher fighting multiple myeloma. She needs a stem cell transplant. The dinner will be held from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. on March 4 at the firehouse at 34 Broadway Avenue in Mystic. Tickets are $10 and available at Groton Emergency Dispatch, the Poquonnock Bridge Fire Department and the Mystic Fire Department.
4. The Greater Westerly-Pawcatuck Area Chamber of Commerce is taking sponsorship forms for the 15th Annual Pawcatuck River Duck Race.
On Saturday, April 27 more than 20,000 rubber ducks will be dropped in the Pawcatuck River. The corporate race takes place at 1 p.m. and the main race at 1:30 p.m. Docks cost $5 each and the race benefits a number of local charities.
For information and/or to sponsor a duck contact the Greater Westerly-Pawcatuck Area Chamber of Commerce at 401-596-7761 or by firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. If giving blood makes you a little squeamish maybe ice cream will help. Mel’s Downtown Creamery is hosting a blood drive on Feb. 22, 2013 from 4 to 7 p.m. Everyone who gives blood will receive a free pint of ice cream.
The Red Cross website offers a search option for interested donors to find upcoming blood drives in their area.
Do you know about any other upcoming blood drives?