About two years ago, we launched Stonington-Mystic Patch with a pretty bold mission in mind: To make your life ridiculously easy.
That meant covering the biggest stories in town—from Hope Springs to Hurricane Sandy—while also helping you share even the smallest feats of neighborly kindness or communicate with your customers.
Today, Stonington-Mystic Patch takes another look at some of this year’s most popular stories.
Some are uplifting; some are not. Some mean big things for the future of the area, others are simply a slice of life. Some stories are not over, they'll continue well into 2013.
Here are our 10 most-clicked on articles (based on numerical data):
1. Hurricane Sandy, October and November. Articles on Hurricane Sandy dominated our 10 most-clicked on articles. There were photos of Hurricane Sandy beginning to hit the area, a forecast that Mystic could be the ‘bullseye’ for the hurricane storm surge, a forecast that the hurricane would make landfall soon than expected, photos of the high winds and damaging floods, photos of clean-up from Hurricane Sandy, and the continually updated list of what was open and what was closed.
2. UPDATED: Dodson Boatyard Fire Could Cost One Million Dollars in Damage, December. 20. A fire at Dodson Boatyard destroyed at least four boats, caused delays for 2,000 Amtrak customers and left hundreds without power.
3. The Cultural And Culinary Items That Went Down With The Titanic, April 9. The cargo manifest on the ill-fated ship was as diverse and interesting as the passenger list was.
4. , August 9. Local moviegoers get a kick out of seeing local landmarks, residents in the movie, starring Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones.
5. UConn-Avery Point Gunman Identified, July 24. Southeastern Connecticut residents expressed shock and sadness over the loss of Tim Devine 30, a Poquonnock Bridge firefighter.
6. Readers' Choice: Best Stonington-Mystic Preschools, March 5. Deciding where to send your child to preschool is tough. Join the discussion on Patch and leave a review in our business directory.
7. Updated: Search For Missing Woman Called Off For The Night, August 19. Nine people were rescued after a boat overturned two miles south of Noank. One woman remains unaccounted for.
8. Updated: Superintendent Leanne Masterjoseph Has Resigned, May 10. Masterjoseph sent out an email announcing her resignation to Stonington Public School staff.
9. , April 2. ...And opens new door at Mystic River Marina the next morning for breakfast
10. Mystic Seaport United Files For Union Election, July 6. Mystic Seaport employees began organizing to form a union earlier this spring.