The Stonington Police Department sent out the below message from the Stonington Office of Emergency Management:
With Mother Nature bearing down on us with what could be a major snow event starting early tomorrow morning through midday Saturday, we would like to offer the following suggestions to make this a safe event:
- Try to have all your business done by the end of today (groceries/ banking/medication) to avoid traveling during the storm. This will assist our Public Works Department to clear the roads.
- Make sure all your vehicles have a full tank of gasoline.
- Make sure you have batteries for lights and a portable radio. We could see power losses with this storm. PLEASE try to avoid the use of candles.
- If you have a generator PLEASE make sure it has been installed correctly and you have enough fuel to last for 72 hours.
- If you need to use a portable heating device, make sure you are following the manufacturer’s instructions. REMEMBER YOUR KITCHEN STOVE IS FOR COOKING NOT FOR HEAT.
- Today is the time to make sure you have all your medication to last at least 72 hours.
- Now is the time to make sure you have a telephone in the house that will work during a power loss.
- If you must use your automobile to charge your cell phone, laptop, etc., remove the snow from around the exhaust pipe first. DO NOT RUN YOUR CAR IN THE GARAGE.
- If you have an elderly neighbor or relative, remember to check on them during and after the storm until things are back to normal.
- Remember to plan for your pets during the storm.
If everyone takes a few early precautions, we will all get through this storm safely.
Know of a weather related cancellation? Share it in the comments.