The Mystic & Noank Library celebrates the beginning of an exterior restoration project on Monday, July 9, 2012 at 3 p.m. The project allows the Library to do some very important work to the original 1893 section of the Library, including repairing original features such as the copper clad cupola and the two original terra cotta reliefs in the pediments. It will also assist in the removal of asbestos and lead paint and in the repair and preservation of stained glass windows.
The work on the Mystic & Noank Library, including window restoration and replacement, has been financed in part by the State of Connecticut utilizing Community Investment Act funds administered by the Department of Economic and Community Development. It is also funded by the Bill and Eileen Ames Charitable Trust, which was created for the sole purpose of maintaining the original 1893 section.
Thomas A. Gribbin, AIA, LEED AP, of Noyes Vogt Architects, identified the needed work and drew up the plans. Superior Finishes, LLC is the General Contractor, working with Pierce Builders, Inc., both specialists in historic restoration work.
A committee of Board members and community volunteers is working with Library Director, Lois Hiller, on organizing the project. They include: Lou Allyn, Barry Boodman, Todd Brady, John Casey, Mike Hewitt, Mike Johnson, John Porter, and Ann Shipley (Co-President of the Library Board).
The Mystic and Noank Library is a public association library. Located in the town of Groton, the Library primarily serves residents of Mystic, Noank, Groton Long Point, Stonington, and Old Mystic. Resources and programs are available for groups from pre-school to senior citizens.
The Library was established in 1893 by Captain Elihu Spicer, who donated the land and building for the communities of Mystic and Noank. It is an impressive two-story building, restored and expanded in 1991 with the addition of a children’s wing and a public meeting room.