That Stonington is seeking to hire a new Superintendent of Schools is a certainty, that Groton might be is a possibility. For the decision makers, consider this...
Your best candidate might be right down the hall - the present Assistant Superintendent of Schools. A person who can do the job almost seamlessly, knows the Town, knows the issues, knows the personnel, and has already proven themself as a key employee, Why go through the expense and time of a search when the individual best qualified is already on board, ready, prepared, and hungry for the challenge ? But, if that individual says no, not interested, where do you go from there? If you go outside the system, here is your Top Ten List in what to look for:
You want a new Superintendent who:
1) Has been a classroom teacher for at least ten years, a person who knows what it takes to succeed as a teacher having actually done so. Plus. this experience in the trenches earns the instant respect of your schools' faculty.
2) Has an earned PhD. Bonus points awarded if the candidate is so modest as to refuse to be referred to as Doctor knowing the title rightfully belongs only to Dentists and M.D.s.
3) Has been a Department Head, Assistant Principal, Principal, and Assistant Superintendent. Bonus Points awarded if they have done Custodial Work and driven a School Bus.
4) Does not try to fix that which is not broken. Respects tradition. Realizes change is constant , but seeks it only for the better. Knows you can't pour a quart in to a pint container, but the container should be filled to the rim ( Folksy way of saying not every student is brilliant but all must maximize their potential ).
5)Has been a Team Sport Athlete and, ideally, Coach. Knows that Music, Art, and Theatre are as important as Math. and Literature.
6)Tells you right up front that Family and Faith are priorities in their life - shows they have the potential to understand that in others and to provide role-modeling.
7)Has great technology skills but would rather talk face to face or by phone than by email.
8)Takes pride im personal appearance - Dress For Success - but would ruin clothing to assist a child who was nauseous or had a nose bleed.
9) Says Hello to each person they pass by or encounter. Intruduces self to strangers. Smiles and has impeccable manners.
10) Has a sense of humor, able to laugh at self and laugh with others
If you find a candidate who fits all of the above - HIRE!