Chefs from two of the area’s farm-to-table restaurants face off tonight in this year’s “Iron Chef” Competition.
Jennifer Backman of Watch Hill’s Ocean House and David Awad of Mystic’s compete tonight at for the title of 2012 “Iron Chef.” Backman will be assisted by Ocean House President and Managing Director Daniel Hostettler and Awad will be assisted by former Congressman Rob Simmons. Judging the food will be best-selling author Wally Lamb; Founding Host of Antiques Roadshow, Christian Jusell; Chief Lynn Malerba of the Mohegan Nation; and Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Councilor Roy Colebut-Ingram. A fifth judge will chosen during a live auction for the guests in attendance.
The Sixth Annual "Iron Chef" Competition & Auction for Action benefits the Mystic Area Shelter & Hospitality (MASH). In 2011, MASH provided emergency shelter and services to more than 100 families facing homelessness.
The "Iron Chef" Competition & Auction for Action begins at 6 p.m. The live auction includes:
- A private dinner for 10 at St. Edmund’s Retreat or in the winning bidder’s home prepared by the 2012 Iron Chef contestants.
- A cocktail party for 30 in the exclusive Club Room or beautiful Tower Suite of Ocean House (winning bidder’s choice).
- Four tickets to the MASH event with WNPR’s Faith Middleton, host of the “Food Schmooze” and “The Faith Middleton Show,” including private cocktail with Faith before the event.
- A private, behind-the-scenes tour for 15 of ’s Charles W. Morgan, hosted by Seaport President Steve White, cocktail reception to follow.
- Foxwoods Getaway: an overnight stay with golf for two at the famed Lake of Isles Course or a Spa Package with a $250 food and beverage certificate included.
- An Evening with Wally Lamb: the best-selling author will read from his upcoming novel, We Are Water, and talk with guests for an hour.
- A private behind-the-scenes tour including beluga whale and penguin experiences with a full dinner and cocktail reception on the aquarium’s main floor for six.
For more information about MASH or to buy tickets for the August 17 “Iron Chef” Competition & Auction for Action, please visit www.mashshelter.org.