1. La Luna Ristorante, at 9 Whitehall Ave., in Mystic is officially open for business. The restaurant owned by Branford chef Edgar Ortiz is hosting an open house today from noon to 10 p.m. The will stop by at 4:30 p.m. for a ribbon cutting.
2. Special Olympics Connecticut is looking for volunteers for its 2012 Special Olympics Connecticut Fall Sports Festival. The two-day festival takes place on September 8 and September 9 at locations around Connecticut and in Rhode Island. More than are expected to participate. Stonington’s will host the sailing event. For more information and to find out about volunteer opportunities visit www.soct.org, email email@example.com or call 203-230-1201.
3. Have you had a chance to see Hope Springs yet? The movie starring Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, Steve Carell and Stonington debuted last week to the delight of locals. What did you think of the movie? Don’t forget Stonington Borough is celebrating the release all month with special events and discounts. Download your to find out more.
4. The Woodstock Music Festival opened in White Lake, New York on August 15, 1969. More than 400,000 people showed up for the festival outside the town of Bethel.
5. Today's thought: "Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do." —Dr. Benjamin Spock