With Labor Day weekend fast approaching, our thoughts turn to the fall. For many in southeastern Connecticut, that means back-to-school preparations—new clothes, school supplies, backpacks, and much more.
But while we take the time to pick out the perfect lunchbox for our child, we often forget to consider the contents of the lunchbox, opting instead for the ready-made meals and snacks available at the local grocery store. These snacks undoubtedly offer convenience and can be a boon to the usual harried school morning routine, but the benefits in convenience are far outweighed by their unhealthy amounts of sugar and salt, not to mention chemical preservatives and pesticide residues.
At the Denison Farm Market, we offer a healthy alternative. Our farms are predominantly either Certified Organic or have taken the “Farmers Pledge," a promise to follow organic principles on the farms. Artificial ingredients, pesticides, GMOs—these are problems that you just won’t find at our farmers’ market. Instead, you’ll find healthy, locally grown food produced by the very best farmers in southeastern Connecticut. And most importantly, your kids will love it because the taste is fantastic!
Here are just a few of the possibilities we offer:
- Get their day off to a great start with eggs from Groton Family Farm, Davis Farm, Studio Farm, Stonyledge Farm, or Haider Farm. And don’t forget bacon, sausage, and ham from Studio Farm , Stonyledge Farm, or Haider Farm, too. Add toast or english muffins with Stonewall Apiary's honey butter for a special treat!
- Another great start to the day: Johnnycakes from Davis Farm drizzled with maple syrup from Sugar Maple Farm.
- Heirloom apples from 18th Century Purity Farm dipped in local honey from Stonewall Apiary.
- Fresh salads with produce from Groton Family Farm, Davis Farm, Studio Farm, Stonyledge Farm, D&L Burton Farm, or Aiki Farm.
- While you’re making that salad, how about adding some goat cheese from Beltane Farm?
- Jellies, jams and preserves made from local ingredients by Stonyledge Farm and Sweet Country Roads.
- And how about an after-school treat from Meriano’s Bake Shoppe or Breads-n-Cookies to reward a hard day’s work?
This is only a small sample of what the Denison Farm Market has to offer. We invite you to stop by the market this Sunday from 12 to 3 at 120 Pequotsepos Rd., Mystic, Connecticut. Start the school year off right with healthy options for your children and your entire family! We’ll see you at the market!